Open calls or position vacancies
- ECR for the Remote Sensing Working Group: SIOS offers the opportunity for an ECR with expertise in remote sensing to become involved in our international organisation and develop important organisational skills. https://sios-svalbard.org/ECR_RSWG_Recruitment2021
- Research Associate/Senior Research Associate Earth Observation scientist for EU Arctic PASSION: Closing date 5th August. The role: We seek an experienced Earth Observation scientist with a background in polar research, preferably related to Arctic glaciers and/or the Greenland Ice Sheet. You will be part of an international team of scientists working on an exciting and ambitious EU funded four-year project to develop an integrated, holistic observing system for the Arctic. The focus of your part of the project is on an Arctic land ice observing system. Project webpage: https://arcticpassion.eu/ What will you be doing? You will be developing approaches and tools for providing comprehensive observations of key environmental variables related to land ice cover across the Arctic. You will be assessing the impact of different sensor and satellite configurations for both existing and future missions, testing and optimising the observing concept to provide the best possible set-up for Arctic land ice. You will be working with leading groups across Europe and beyond to integrate the land ice concept into a complete Arctic observing system. You should apply if: You have a background in Earth Observation and polar research, are ambitious, a good team player, committed to excellence, keen to publish impactful research and excited about being part of an ambitious international project. Additional information: For informal queries, contact details: Jonathan Bamber, +44 117 428 2490, Salary range £33,797-£42,792 depending on experience. Further details and application procedure: https://tinyurl.com/53eaw6sm We welcome applications from all members of our community and are particularly encouraging those from diverse groups, such as members of the LGBT+ and BAME communities, to join us.
- SIOS Innovation Award: Deadline: 10th September 2021.Have you heard about the SIOS Innovation Award? We are looking for proposals for innovations in support of Earth System Science in Svalbard. If you have a good idea, take a look at our website for further information: https://sios-svalbard.org/InnovationAward Application deadline: 10th September 2021.
- EU-PolarNet 2 survey on “Polar Observing Assets”: 30th September 2021. The diverse and distributed nature of observing systems in polar regions presents a fundamental challenge for assessment, planning, integration, and synthesis. There is an interest in creating overviews of these systems, since this, among other things, will allow more efficient use of facilities and allow for the understanding of where gaps in observation capacities exist. There is an interest in knowing answers to questions like “Who is going where? When are they going? What will they observe? What observing equipment will they have there? Who is responsible for organizing logistics?”, etc. The purpose of this EU-PolarNet 2 (https://eu-polarnet.eu/) survey is to seek to create an overview of existing sources of information on polar observing facilities, systems and activities. This will allow the definition of procedures that can access these sources and compile the information from the various sources. Please complete by 1st August. EU-PolarNet 2 seeks support from the European Polar Community to develop ideas for concrete research activities. For this purpose, EU-PolarNet 2 will open Calls for Services for all six research needs of the European Polar Research Programme:
- Better understanding of climate change in the Polar Regions and its links to lower latitudes
- Informed weather and climate action
- Resilient socio-ecological systems
- Prospering communities in the Arctic
- Challenges and Opportunities for Polar Operations
- Inclusive creation, access and usage of knowledge.
The Call for Services offers financial support of up to 15.000 € to cover expenses necessary for successfully implementing the proposed activities. Applications are welcome from European researchers and/or stake- and rightholders. Early-career and female applicants are encouraged to apply. Check for the full eligibility criteria, funding conditions and submission guidelines here: https://eu-polarnet.eu/call/ This first Call for Services asks to formulate activities related to research needs 4 and 6 above. The Call stays open for submissions until 30th September 2021.
Previous - closed
- SCIENTIFIC PROJECT OFFICER: Arctic PASSION project. The opening is available at http://recruitment.jrc.ec.europa.eu/?site=IPR&type=AX Deadline for applications is 20th July 2021.
- ESA is opening a number of post-doc positions in EO for Earth System Science, to come and work in ESRIN, Frascati.The different topics include Polar and Cryosphere science, Ocean science, Hydrology and Water cycle, Terrestrial Carbon cycle, Climate adaptation: extremes and natural disasters.For more information, for more information please click here. Closing date 28th June 2021.
- Toolik Field Station - Web Developer - deadline for applications: 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, June 6, 2021 Toolik Field Station (TFS) is a research station operated and managed by the Institute of Arctic Biology at the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF). TFS provides logistical, operational, and scientific support to visiting scientists conducting Arctic research. Located 370 miles north of Fairbanks, Alaska and about two degrees north of the arctic circle. The field station population ebbs and flows throughout the year with a minimum population of 4 in the winter and up to 150 in the summer. For a detailed description of the job duties or to apply, follow this link to the University of Alaska Careers page: https://careers.alaska.edu/en-us/job/516889/web-developer-toolik-field-station. UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
- APECS International Directorate: Call for Bids 2021 - deadline 31st May 2021. Call for Bids to host the International Directorate of the Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) https://www.apecs.is/who-we-are/leadership/international-directorate/call-for-bids-2021.html
- DEEPICE PhD positions: The DEEPICE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions – Innovative Training Network) calls for applications for 15 fully funded PhD positions (early-stage researcher, ESR) to be filled between July and October 2021, with attractive complementary training activities and associated research and travel budgets. DEEPICE aims to train a new generation of scientists working on issues related to past climate change in Antarctica by taking advantage of the unique scientific dynamic of the on-going EU H2020 “Beyond EPICA-Oldest Ice Core” project (2019-2025) which aims at extracting a 1.5 million years old ice core in Antarctica. https://deepice.cnrs.fr/deepice-phd-projects/