The EU Polar Cluster work together to increase our impact, minimise travel, and engage a wider range of stakeholders.
Individual Cluster Project Events
We here have collated individual project events, sessions, workshops, and webinars from all/joint task groups.
We aim to include all sessions, but please see project websites for more details and complete lists. If you have something to be added, please contact Lily Green.
We also work together on key conferences and events on joint sessions:
The 4th Public Participation and Deliverative Democracy Festival - 20-21st October 2022
The organizers (specifically, colleagues of the European Commission’s new Competence on Participatory and Deliberative Democracy) is seeking contributions.
To coincide with the European Year of Youth, the theme of the Festival this year is ‘Youth Participation’. There are a number of sub-themes the JRC is interested in exploring at the festival that fall under the main theme of Youth Participation. These include:
- Local and Indigenous Youth Rolesin traditional knowledge transmission and circulation. The focus here is on how young local and indigenous people are being engaged in science and policymaking.
- Space: How can we harness space, both virtual and physical, for better participatory and deliberative outcomes with, and for, youth?
- Czechia: During the festival the Presidency of the Council of the EUwill be Czechia, and therefore we welcome submissions on the theme of participatory and deliberative democracy in relation to Czechia.
The Festival traditionally showcases participatory and deliberative democracy projects and initiatives in a virtual exhibition.
- EU-SÁMI WEEK BRUSSELS 20-22. JUNE 2022
- The aim of EU-Sámi Week is to strengthen the relationship between Sápmi and the EU. EU-Sámi Week is the first step in raising awareness among EU decision-makers about the need to include the Sámi people in EU policymaking. Because the EU is involved in many sectors that have an impact on the Sámi way of life, such as climate and environment, agriculture, education, culture, and research, it is natural that relations are strengthened. The week is expected to become a recognized platform for political communication between the EU and the Sámi people in the future.
- The event will be a networking platform for experts in regional and local development through the lens of the Sámi people. Exchange of good practices in economic development and social inclusion, cross-border cooperation, regional innovation, and community-led local development will be in focus.
- Find more information, including the program and registration here: https://www.saamicouncil.net/en/eusami-week-2022
- WEBINAR: Remote Sensing of the Cryosphere - hosted by SIOS Knowledge Centre with speakers from KEPLER, INTAROS, & Arctic PASSION - 10th June 10:00-12:00 CEST Online
- This webinar will focus on outcomes of selected EU Polar Cluster projects listed under the theme of Earth observation. A special emphasis is on the role of Earth observation and remote sensing in the cryosphere and how these projects contribute to advancing our knowledge in the polar regions.
- Find out more about webinars hosted by SIOS Knowledge Centre here: https://sios-svalbard.org/WebinarSeries
- Please find the complete programme here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEtdO-tqjgvHdHv4yxwYUpiClRJCoRXM9Zv
- DATA INTEROPERABILITY WORKSHOP - 31 MAY 2022 14:00-15:30 CEST - Hosted by Arctic PASSION, SIOS Knowledge Centre & Interact online
- Data standardization means converting data to a common format, allowing different users to process and analyze it for, e.g., collaborative research and large-scale analaysis. Standardization is a necessary requirement for data to be interoperable so that it can be integrated from multiple sources and scientific domains, which in turn is one of the critical steps to meet the FAIR data principles of findability, interoperability and reusability.
- This on-line workshop, arranged by Arctic PASSION, INTERACT and SIOS, will provide the participants with an introduction to standardization and interoperability of metadata and data. In addition, the participants will learn about two common data standards and practical examples how they can be utilized in research.
- Register to the workshop by 30th May by filling in the registration form. The workshop is free of charge. Registrants will receive the link to join the on-line meeting by e-mail in the morning of the workshop (CEST).
- Discussion paper "Working towards ethical guidelines for research involving the Sámi" Workshop 23-24.05.2022 in Kautokeino
- Áslat Holmberg has on behalf of the Saami Council written the discussion paper "Working towards ethical guidelines for research involving the Sámi". The discussion paper points to various work that has already been done about research ethics in Sápmi, a short description of similar work that has been done in some other indigenous peoples' areas and how ownership rights and self-determination also affects the research sector.
- In the last chapters, 5-7, you will find the concrete proposals for a way forward on developing potential guidelines.
- Link to the discussion paper can be found here: https://www.saamicouncil.net/documentarchive/working-towards-ethical-guidelines-for-research-involving-the-smi
- EU Polar Cluster at ASSW 2022 26 March - 1st April Tromsø, Norway - Multiple Groups organised sessions, workshops and posters
- EU-PolarNet 2 - Planning meeting 27 March 14:00-18:00 CEST - More info here
- Arctic PASSION - Workshop: Establishing the Distributed Biological Observatory System in the Atlantic Sector of the Arctic Ocean - 28 March 9:00-15:30 CEST Find the agenda for this event here
- INTAROS - Webinar: Selected Results from the INTAROS H2020 Project 2016-2022 28 March 9:00-13:00 Find the agenda for this event here
- SIOS - Science Day 2022 Poster session - 29 March 16:00-18:00 Earth Observation and Remote Sensing Activities to Develop an Efficient Regional Observing System in Svalbard: Experiences from the SIOS remote sensing working group (RSWG) See the poster here
- European Polar Board - Looking Back and Ahead - 29 March 14:00-15:30 CEST Find more information about this session here
- European Polar Board - Introducing Polardex: Database of polar research and infrastructure and planned routes 29 March 16:00-18:00 CEST Find more infomration about this session here
- INTERACT Transnational Access User Community - 29 March 9:30-13:00 CEST Find more information about this session here
- SIOS - Diversity, equity, inclusion and field safety: An Arctic Perspective 29 March 13:00-15:00 CEST Find more information about this session here
- EU-PolarNet2 - Workshop: Norwegian contributions to networking and polar research in Horizon Europe - 30 March 14:00-18:00 CEST - find more information about this event here
- CAPARDUS - Workshop 31 March 2022 14:00-18:00 Find the agenda for this event here
- Arctic Frontiers Science Meeting 31 January- 4th February 2022. We are happy to announce the upcoming Arctic Frontiers Science Conference in Tromsø, Norway. The sessions are:
- Talks and posters from SIOS:
- Talk: “Status of infrastructure development to optimize the long-term monitoring system in Svalbard: examples from the infrastructure development of the Norwegian node (SIOS-INFRANOR)” by Shridhar Jawak, Inger Jennings, Christiane Hübner, Ilkka Matero, Øystein Godøy, Heikki Lihavainen
- Talk: “SIOS data infrastructure in Svalbard” by Ilkka Matero, Inger Jennings, Øystein Godøy, Shridhar Jawak, Christiane Hübner, Heikki Lihahavinen, Kim Holmén
- Poster: “The Svalbard Observing System – monitoring for science and society” by Jasmine Zhang, Christiane Hübner, Zdenka Sokolíčková, Esteban Ramírez Hincapié, René van der Wal, Inger Jennings, Ilkka Matero, Shridhar Jawak, Heikki Lihavainen
- Talks and posters from SIOS:
- EU-PolarNet 2/EPB/Cluster Webinar "New Arctic Policy: The New EU Arctic Policy and Research and Innvocation" 24th November 2021, 10:00am CET. Objective: To introduce the new Arctic Policy to the EU polar science community, to discuss the role of Research & Innovation in the new strategy and to see how R&I projects can contribute to the Policy objectives. The webinar will reflect on the contribution of EU Polar Cluster projects to better understandings of changes in the Arctic, as well as to societal benefits. Event chaired by Nicole Biebow (Eu Polar Net 2) and Renuka Badhe (EPB), Speakers included Michel Mann, the EU Special Envoy for the Arctic and Raphael Goulet the Head of Unit, European Commission
- Please find a recorded video of the webinar here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W1V6cUDo00
- EU Arctic Forum and Indigenous Peoples' Dialogue - 10-11 November 2021 Brussels, Belgium and Livestream. The European Commission and the European External Action Service organised a high-level EU Arctic Forum and the Annual Arctic Indigenous Peoples’ Dialogue on 10 and 11 November 2021 in Brussels.The High Representative/Vice President Josep Borrell and Commissioner Virginijus Sinkevičius hosted the events.Concluding session was given by Mr Michael Mann, EU Special Enjoy for Arctic Matters.
- Please find the programme for the event here: https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/eu-arctic-forum-2021-programme_en.pdf
- #COP26 EU Pavilion side event: "Polar Warming, Global Warming." 3 November 2021, online and in Brussels. This session was organised by Cluster Members EU-PolarNet 2, SO-CHIC, PROTECT, TiPACCs, Arctic PASSION and the EPB, and representatives from the Alfred Wegener Institute, British Antarctic Survey, the Université libre de Bruxelles, and the University of Grenoble and was moderated by Nicole Biebow. We provided scientific facts and community knowledge of polar change from EU Polar Cluster Members to protect and support adaptation, resilience, & sustainability, of communities and habitats, and the Polar Regions impact on European society.
- Please find a recording of this session here.
- ASSW - Arctic Science Summit Week, March 2021, online.
- Report Meeting on the Impact of COVID-19 on members of the EU Polar Cluster 15 January 2021, online.
- Education and training events:
- International Conference for Young MArine REsearchers (ICYMARE), 21-24 September 2021, online, FACE-IT
- eScience Tools in Climate Science: Linking Observations with Modelling, 1-8 November 2021, Tjärnö Marine Biological Laboratory, Sweden plus 2 days virtual (tentatively 22-23 November 2021), FORCeS
- ARCSAR TTX event, 9-10 November, online
- SIOS Training course on Hyperspectral Remote Sensing (HIRScourse), 6-10 September 2021, online, SIOS
- KEPLER ECR workshop https://kepler-polar.eu/2021/02/15/kepler-ecr-workshop/
- The 2020 EU Polar Cluster meeting was held as part of the European Polar Science Week on the 27th October 2020, online, in collaboration with ESA - http://eo4polar.esa.int/
- ASSW (Arctic Science Summit Week) 28 March - 30 March 2020
- EPP, ARICE, APPLICATE, EUPolarNet involved in sessions
- Arctic Observing Summit, Iceland, 31st March - 2nd April 2020
- INTAROS involved in preparatory work
- KEPLER submitted side session